DEF UREA: Essential for Modern Diesel Engines
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a high-purity solution of urea and deionized water. It is used in diesel engines equipped with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology to reduce harmful nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions. By breaking down NOx into nitrogen and water vapor, DEF helps diesel engines meet stringent environmental regulations.

How is DEF Made?

DEF is produced through a precise and controlled process to ensure high purity and effectiveness. The key steps in its production include:
  • Urea Production: Urea is synthesized from ammonia and carbon dioxide under high pressure and temperature. The chemical reaction for producing urea is: 2NH3+CO2→(NH2)2CO+H2O2NH_3 + CO_2 \rightarrow (NH_2)_2CO + H_2O2NH3​+CO2​→(NH2​)2​CO+H2​O
  • Purification: The urea is purified to remove any impurities that could affect the performance of the DEF.
  • Blending: High-purity urea is then dissolved in deionized water to create a 32.5% urea solution. This precise concentration is crucial for the SCR system to function correctly.
  • Quality Control: The final DEF product undergoes rigorous testing to ensure it meets the ISO 22241 standards for purity and composition.
  • Chemical Formula: The chemical formula for the main component of DEF, urea, is: Urea: (NH2)2CO\text{Urea: } (NH_2)_2COUrea: (NH2​)2​CO

  • In DEF, urea is present in a 32.5% concentration with the remaining 67.5% being deionized water.
    By incorporating DEF into diesel engines, we can significantly reduce harmful emissions and contribute to a cleaner environment. DEF is a critical component in modern diesel technology, ensuring compliance with environmental regulations and promoting sustainable practices.

Quality Standards for DEF

To ensure optimal performance and safety, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) adheres to stringent quality control standards. Key quality standards for DEF include:
  • Concentration : DEF must consist of 32.5% high-purity urea and 67.5% deionized water by weight. Even minor deviations in concentration can adversely affect the performance of DEF.
  • Purity : Impurities such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium must be kept to extremely low parts per million. These contaminants can cause corrosion in system components or clog injectors.
  • Storage: When stored correctly between 12°F and 86°F, DEF should retain its purity for at least one year after production. Storage tanks and dispensers at DEF filling stations must avoid conditions that could introduce impurities.
  • Handling: Proper packaging, handling procedures, and materials compatibility are essential to prevent DEF degradation during transportation and storage.
    By enforcing these precise quality standards, the industry ensures that DEF reliably delivers the expected emissions reductions without damaging vehicles or endangering operators. Maintaining high DEF quality provides fleet owners with confidence in the performance and safety of their emissions control systems.
  • Chemicals Used: Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) primarily consists of a solution of urea and deionized water. The chemical compound used in DEF is urea, which has the chemical formula (NH2)2CO. Urea is a nitrogen-based compound that is synthesized from ammonia and carbon dioxide. In DEF, urea is present at a concentration of 32.5%, with the remaining 67.5% being deionized water.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is Urea in Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?
    Urea in Diesel Exhaust Fluid, also known as DEF, is a safe solution composed of 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water. Urea, a nitrogen compound, transforms into ammonia when heated. In DEF, it aids in converting nitrogen oxide, a harmful pollutant, into harmless nitrogen and water.
  • What is the Purpose of Urea in DEF?
    Urea plays a vital role in the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) process employed by diesel engines to diminish harmful nitrogen oxide emissions. When DEF is introduced into the exhaust stream of a diesel vehicle, urea breaks down into ammonia. Subsequently, the SCR process converts nitrogen oxides, a damaging greenhouse gas, into nitrogen, water, and trace amounts of carbon dioxide – all environmentally benign emissions.
  • How Often Do I Need to Refill DEF?
    The frequency of DEF refills hinges on your vehicle’s consumption rate, typically ranging from 2-3% of diesel fuel usage. For vehicles with average fuel efficiency, DEF tanks require refilling approximately every 5,000-7,000 miles.
  • Is Urea in DEF Harmful?
    Urea in DEF is non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-hazardous, posing no significant risks to humans or animals through exposure or ingestion. Nonetheless, it's prudent to adhere to safety guidelines while handling DEF to prevent any discomfort or complications.
  • In Conclusion
    Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) has become indispensable to modern diesel engine emissions systems. As diesel engines, particularly in heavy-duty applications like trucks and buses, continue to gain traction, DEF usage is anticipated to rise.

    Most on-road diesel engine manufacturers utilize selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems that rely on DEF injection. Stringent emissions regulations worldwide are also propelling increased SCR adoption. Though early SCR systems encountered technical challenges, advancements in DEF injectors, dosing modules, and sensors have enhanced reliability.

    While DEF has demonstrated efficacy in reducing NOx emissions, researchers are exploring potential alternatives. Ammonia has been considered, but it poses safety hazards. Hydrogen addition is another area under study, yet DEF currently offers superior NOx conversion efficiency.

    Given its established efficacy and emissions regulations mandating NOx reduction, DEF is likely to remain the primary emissions control agent for diesel engines in the foreseeable future. The expansion of diesel use across commercial transportation, agriculture, and industrial sectors ensures DEF's global utilization will continue to grow. Take action now!
Our team is ready to assist you and provide the information you need. If you have any questions or require further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Simply click the "Submit Inquiry" button below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Product Name : Technical Grade Urea
Packing : 45 - 50 Kg Bag
Brand : GNFC -Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers and Chemicals Limited
Prakash chemicals agencies Gujarat Technical Grade Urea, GNFC, 25Kg bag
Office & Warehouse Address
AHMEDABAD B 309 Titanium City Center, Nr. Sachin Tower, 100 ft Ring Road, Anandnagar, Satellite, Ahmedabad - 380015
SURAT B-119,120 C-119,120, Green park Surat Navsari Road, Unn Sachin, Surat - 394210
MUMBAI Room No. 18, 2nd Floor,Fancy Chamber, 94, Surat Street, Danabunder, Chinchbunder, Nr. Masjid Bunder Railway, Mumbai-400009, Maharashtra, India
BARODA Survey No. 530/1, Somnath Estate, IPCL Road, Ranoli, Vadodara – 391350
RAJKOT Khodiyar Park Shed No.3, Ruda Transport Nagar, Sokhada Village, Navagam, Taluka : Rajkot, Dist. Rajkot - 360 002.
VAPI Vapi, Gujarat
MAHARASHTRA Sohil Warehouse, Near Adarsh Katta,Anjur Valgaon Road, Nr. Rahnal Village,Off Mumbai-Agra Road,Bhiwandi
Momai Warehouse - Prerna Complex,Bldg. No. B-7 Gala No.1,Anjur-Dapode Road, Val Village,Bhiwandi-421305, Thane. (Thane) Mumbai, India.
ANKLESHWAR Ankleshwar, Gujarat

Why us?

  • We provide high quality raw materials sourced from leading global manufacturers
  • Technical expertise to enhance process performance & cost reduction
  • Door step delivery of customized & small orders at competitive prices
  • Deriving the best price and quality for our customers
  • Can fulfil all sizes of orders with the help of 5 branch offices & 10 warehouses
  • Prompt response to inquiry with help of ERP & CRM System